Faster than the Speed of Light?



It is always interesting to speak with other high-minded people who are comfortable talking openly about UFOs.  There seems to be two basic camps of these people, one which comes from an adherence to the Scientific Method and one which comes from a belief in the Paranormal.  Me, I am from the former group; it is hard for me to buy into something simply on faith.  An idea has to be explainable, either with some scientific reasoning or a conclusion derived from a logical series of steps which can be verified and repeated.  However, both groups have their own insights and contributions to the conversation and I enjoy speaking with anyone who is interested in the topic.  I tune out when the conversation veers over to Bigfoot and The Loch Ness Monster, but alien abduction?  You have my attention.

Stats Guy


Last night I spoke with someone from the Scientific Method group.  Good guy.  We were connected through a dean at UConn.  A few weeks ago I reached out to my Stats professor (who is now a dean) to see if he wanted to collaborate on a small project.  I want to have someone use statistics to prove a point that I want to write about.  The dean suggested this would be good work for a current MBA student he knew.  It was.

I will not print the student's name, just yet, because I did not ask his permission to do so and it is 5:30 in the morning right now.  I will call him the Stats Guy, for now.  Stats Guy, it turns out, is an aerospace engineer - a rocket scientist.  Having formerly been a software engineer, I have a lot of really smart friends.  It is always a joy to speak with them because I find there is an extra overdrive gear in my brain that I rarely get to use.  It kicks in when I talk to some of my old Techie buddies.  I think this was the first time I ever had a conversation with a rocket scientist.  Same kind of thing.  Pretty cool stuff.

We must have spoken for close to an hour.  That is unusual (but in a good way), considering it was our first conversation.  A lot of it was about how high-speed space travel might work.  When I suggested that the ship I saw may have traveled faster than the speed of light because it shot off in a streak of light he gave me a really detailed layman's explanation of Relativity.  He said that based on our current understanding of science it is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light.

I countered with the question, what if there was a vessel that was capable of traveling at the speed of light and it was so long that it could contain another vessel which could travel at the speed of light.  Sounds impossible, based on our current understanding of science and on what is possible for humans to build within a reasonable amount of time, but what is a reasonable amount of time?  And what is impossible?  Thirty years ago someone would have laughed at you if you told them that some day, in our lifetimes, you would be able to carry a phone in your pocket, take pictures with it, and play video games on it.  Oh, and it will contain a more powerful computer than the fastest mainframe and have more memory than a warehouse full of storage devices.  Food for thought.

I gave Stats Guy a brief explanation of the Marceau Ship (below), pass the salt, and then moved on to other topics.  Here is an updated image of it, by the way.  My brother in-law Cameron did a fantastic job of capturing what I saw, just from my description of it.  The guy should be a police sketch artist.

Faster than the speed of light
The Marceau Ship a.k.a. The Gagetown UFO
The lights, up front, are still not quite right but it more or less captures what Mike (the other witness) and I saw.

Stats Guy had his own sighting.  He said it was just a light in the sky but it was moving erratically - he should know, he is an aerospace engineer.  I think that is what most UFOs are, some light(s) in the sky which do not move the way planes and helicopters should.  It is quite possible they are alien spaceships but you cannot say for sure if it is just a light.  So we call them UFOs.  Mine was definitely not UFO, it was an alien spaceship.  It looked just like the image above.

Stats Guy wondered why these ships might need lights.  I agreed that they probably would have some advanced form of Night Vision, Radar, X-Rays, or a technology we cannot even imagine.  Why would they need lights?  Maybe someone spilled coffee on the leather seats and they needed to turn on the dome light, I said.  The driver was like, "I just had those cleaned!"

We also talked about how these ships should have some type of cloaking device.  I told him about my friend's mom who saw a ship over New Jersey and how she could see through it but still see its outline.  So yeah, they've got that.

After telling Stats Guy what I wanted him to provide for me, he brought up a related concept called Panspermia, something I will have to add to my list of topics to explore here.  We concluded the conversation with a brief discussion of Neil deGrasse Tyson, who is speaking in Hartford next week.  I would love to hear what he has to say but it does not work out, schedule-wise.

So I think Stats Guy is going to put some info together for me - should be good.  Stay tuned for more and please share this blog with others who are interested in Science or Space or who are just smart people who enjoy discussing ideas rather than people.



Enjoying this blog?
Also follow me
If you have seen an alien spaceship or any type of unidentified flying object (UFO) contact me using the Contact form on this page.  You may remain anonymous if you want.  I will not ridicule you or try to tell you why you are wrong.  I get it, I saw one too.

Thank you for reading and keep an eye on the sky.

Comments